Five Innovations in School Design
Tom Weaver from Flywheel in the UK compiles a list of five innovations in school design:
Sometimes we are asked what are some of the most innovative ideas we have seen in the last few years in school design. Here are a selection. Some of them are well worn examples, yet we have still not seen widespread adoption of any of these principles, so the lessons deserve repeating.
- Learning spaces can be specialised around specific pedagogies or learning activities
- Schools are being organised around alternatives to curriculum-centric models
- Schools are piloting new approaches to teaching and learning prior to building
- Schools are being created in non school buildings
- Schools are connecting to other real estate in their local community
These patterns are centered around spatial design. More details and links to case studies on the blog.